Facebook News Feed to Show More “High Quality” Content
In a post through their “Facebook for Business” blog, Facebook announced today that the News Feed will rank “high quality” posts higher than so called “low quality” posts. This is just one of many changes Facebook is rolling out in an effort to make sure that users are viewing the posts that are most important to them! This change to Facebook’s EdgeRank algorithm is designed to ensure “the organic content people see from Pages they are connected to is the most interesting to them.”
How then does Facebook determine what is “high quality” content and what is “low quality” content? To make this determination, Facebook’s top team of developers sat down and came up with this set of factors which they believe will best determine the post’s quality.
1. Is the content timely and relevant?
2. Is the content from a trusted source?
3. Would you share it with friends or recommend it to others?
4. Is the content genuinely interesting to you or is it trying to “game” (or trick) the News Feed algorithm?
5. Would you complain about seeing this content in your News Feed?
Using these factors, the Facebook team then built them into the EdgeRank algorithm to determine the rankings of posts.
While Facebook doesn’t go into specifics about these changes, expect some changes in the way your posts and content are viewed. For most business pages, these changes are going to be very minor, but here are some take aways you should use to make sure that your content is marked as “high quality”:
- Make your posts timely and relevant: Don’t post extremely late at night, post at a time that your users are most likely to see it. You need to also be sure that your content is relevant to the users that follow you. Don’t be posting about Honey Boo Boo from your business page! (unless you’re TLC)
- Build credibility and trust with your audience: Create useful posts that the users of your Page can use to become more knowledgeable about your field of business. If you can help your users become more knowledgable, they will be more trusting of you and therefore more likely to buy from you!
- Ask yourself if YOU would Like and Share your post: This is a great test to determine if your post is high quality. Boring and irrelevant posts are usually pretty unlikely to have high interaction. If you wouldn’t share it, neither will your viewers!